It’s now 43 days until I finish up in this part of the country. On that day, I will begin my trek back across this fine land to my family, and ultimately, sunny Southern California. Today seems like as good a time as any to begin a countdown to that much anticipated day. To help do that, I’m going to post something everyday that I miss about the Left Coast.
Day 43: Avocados
When I want an avocado in San Diego, the process goes much like this:
- Go to grocery store/farmer’s market within 5 miles of my house.
- Buy incredibly fresh and perfectly ripened avocado that was probably grown within 100 miles of the store.
- Slice avocado (sometimes beg wife to make her perfect guacamole)
- Eat until I’m sick.
In New England, it’s a bit different:
- Go to random grocery store.
- Find dark green rock in produce section.
- Place “avocado” inside paper bag.
- Place paper bag in deepest, darkest part of pantry.
- Come back in a week.